Monday, July 28, 2008

Te Amo Meditations

Origin: Mexico
Length: 6.00
Ring: 42
Strength: Medium
Wrapper Color: Medium to Dark Brown
Wrapper Type: Mexico
Binder: Mexico
Filler: Mexico
Shape: Parejo

My lovely bride gave me two boxes of these quintessential Mexican cigars for my birthday, one box of 10 naturals and one box of 10 maduros. In the past I wasn't all that impressed with some of the Te Amos I'd smoked, thinking that they were a bit too harsh and vegetal for my taste, so I wanted to be cautious with these. I was so cautious in fact that I smoked about ten of them before I figured it was time to write this review.

The fact that I've smoked ten of them should give you a clue right off that I don't hate them. In fact, I was fairly surprised by these puros. These aren't the most beautiful cigars in the world. They are kind of rough looking when you first unsheathe one. And for the life of me, I am constantly amazed at how much the naturals smell like a cow pasture before lighting. The maduros do not share this peculiar trait. About three weeks ago there were several of us sitting around and I got ready to smoke one of these Te Amo naturals. I passed it around pre-light and everyone agreed that there was a distinct aroma of vaca de pasto. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, just peculiar.

The draw of these cigars is very nice and easy - the way a cigar is supposed to draw - with a great initial aroma loaded with lots of cream and spice. So far so good!

With each cigar I am continually amazed at the cool and effortless draw. Despite the rough appearance, the burn and ash are pretty close to perfect. The aroma is spectacular. There are hints of cedar and buttery toast as the cigar progresses.

The second half has hints of wood with a mellow sweet spiciness. Reminds me from time to time of a good Nicaraguan.

The only inconsistency I found in these cigars is that some have a long and complex finish with nice eathrtiness and spice, while others have a short and harsh finish. Overall these cigars were surprisingly enjoyable!

The maduro wrappers added the ubiquitous cocoa/coffee flavors to the cigar and the finish on the maduros was always long and complex.

These sticks have definitely changed my perspective on Te Amos and now I'd be willing to give some of their more expense stogies a try.

1 comment:

David Kear said...

I like the Maduros. The Naturals...not so much.

DK